Thursday, March 8, 2012

Who Knew a Show About Motorcycles Could Represent So Much

I thought Hamilton Carroll’s article “Men’s Soaps” took a very interesting approach on analyzing the show American Chopper. I have never watched the show, but I have seen previews and I even from the few clips I have seen I thought I understood the basics of the show, but I never could have imagined someone packing as much meaning into the show as Carroll has done. What I found most interesting was the connection Carroll made between the traditional blue-collar work and white-collar work. I have always pictured anyone associated with a motorcycle to be more similar to the blue-collar sector of society. I was surprised to hear how economically successful the Teutuls and their team have been in a blue-collar job. The amount of money and profit made customizing their choppers has made them financially successful to the level (and even further) of white-collar workers.

While today I feel like bikers are more closely associated as lower class people in society, the show American Chopper contradicts this common belief. Carroll discusses the desire of various members of upper and middle class to redefine their masculinity by being rebellious and riding motorcycles. American Chopper challenges the stigma attached to bikers because they design and customize motorcycles for all different types of clients. While the show usually only shows bikes made for commercial purposes, the Teutuls design and manufacture motorcycles for all types of customers able to afford it. The show American Chopper redefines the culture of motorcycles and the work that goes behind designing a motorcycle in today’s culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment