Friday, February 17, 2012

All About the Hipster Lens

Admittedly, I've never seen an episode of New Girl so I can't really say whether I like it or not, but I can say that I'm just so annoyed with the popularity of the hipster attitude and an "adorkable" female character. The only reason Zooey Deschanel is so famous right now is because pop culture is so into this hipster ideal. She might be an okay actress but she is by no means a ground-breaking feminist by popularizing cute quirky girls. Why does the quirky girl have to be cute anyway? It's obvious that the show would be a total flop if Zooey's character was just a dork and not actually physically attractive, so I think all these claims about it being a feminist show are pretty contradictory. While I can appreciate Fox's effort in creating a show where there is a female lead, I think it's kind of pathetic people are making such a big deal about it. It shouldn't have to be considered weird or innovative that a show can have a female lead.

In that sense, why aren't more people making a bigger deal about Tina Fey/Liz Lemon on 30 Rock? It may be a few seasons in, but it is still so successful and far more groundbreaking than New Girl ever was or will be. Perhaps we're just over the fact that the female lead can be dorky, funny, and smart, not just "adorkable".

No comments:

Post a Comment