Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Empowerment or Objectification?

In this section of her book, Gill discusses the depoliticization of feminist media studies. The ability to read media's representation of women in different ways has made it very difficult to take a concrete stance in about these representations. For example, a character such as Samantha from Sex and the City can be considered empowering to women due to her sexual conquests or a way of symbolically annihilating women by representing women as little more than sexual objects.

I found this point to be particularly interesting because it is a conversation I have often had in my own household. My mom and I frequently have debates about Beyonce's image and its implications for young women like myself. My mom adamantly believes that Beyonce has a very toxic image that teaches young women that the only way we can succeed in life is through the use of our bodies. I, on the other hand, believe that Beyonce is very empowering to women my age by showing us that we can take a stand and declare our independence and go after what we want. Although, I do see my mother's point of view as well.
Sex Object?
Or Empowering Figure?
This dual interpretation of her image is what the author talks about in her book and, according to her, is the reason that feminist media studies have become so divided. It is impossible to point out positive and negative media representation of women because the interpretations of these representations vary greatly depending on the audience.



No comments:

Post a Comment