Thursday, February 16, 2012

The implications of unique femininity


I am not such a huge Zooey Deschanel fan—I haven’t seen that many shows or movies with her and I don’t personally like what I have seen. After watching the SNL skit, “Bein’ Quirky with Zooey Deschanel,” however, I did grow a little fonder of her. I also watched the preview for her most recent show, “New Girl,” which I didn’t think looked half bad. It looks a little extreme, where every scene is exaggerated and pushed to the limit, which is a little too much in my opinion, but it still gives off a very entertaining, enjoyable vibe.

My problem with “New Girl” is how Zooey Deschanel is portrayed as an overly emotional female who needs to undergo some sort of makeover in order to get over her cheating ex-boyfriend and restart her life, succeeding in winning over boys. In the preview I watched, her three male roommates are constantly making fun of her for her quirky mannerisms. What’s so wrong with being quirky? Not every man out there wants to be with a quiet, reserved woman like society dictates to us. Believe it or not there are quirky men out there as well who might like Zooey the way she is, without being transformed by her male roommates.

I don’t know what happens in the show or how it ends but if she conforms to her roommates’ instructions and “normalizes” her personality, then I think the show has failed. Zooey Deschanel is an extremely outgoing, eccentric individual and would promote female power if the show allowed her to remain as such. Maybe the directors (who are probably males) are simply intimidated by her confident persona and gloat at the power they have over portraying her as an insecure makeover doll.

No comments:

Post a Comment