Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sabrina: a lot more than just a teenage witch


I thoroughly enjoyed reading Projansky’s article, “Sabrina, the Teenage…?” as it made me aware of a whole new perspective of the hit 90s show, Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Reading this article made me aware of how empowering the show really is to women, something I had never noticed as a child spectator. I loved this show because it was entertaining and different from other series and I liked that it was about witches. I even had the computer game of this show, which I remember being obsessed with.

As a kid, I was completely oblivious to how much the show challenges social norms. Although Sabrina is a quirky girl, she still plays as a role model for younger girls through her self-confidence and spirit. She’s a girl who does what she wants: wears pants, “comes out of the linen closet” as a witch, and is the editor of the school newspaper, all which emphasize female power. The fact that she lives with two women (Aunt Zelda and Aunt Hilda) gives off a somewhat lesbian feel, showing audience members that homosexuality is normal and acceptable. 

Unaware of these feminist cues before, I was very intrigued by this article. However, while this article does educate its audience with very important messages, it still stands alone against other series. Sabrina the Teenage Witch was a popular show in the 90s that had a strong feminist tone, but where is the show nowadays that encodes these ideas? And why is this emphasis on female power only shown in television series where there are magical or unnatural women?

No comments:

Post a Comment