Monday, January 16, 2012

The Road Not Taken

I took this course because I enjoyed learning how media structures work last semester and am excited to apply these concepts/frameworks to a specific context (gender and sexuality).  Not only does Erin make class fun but the information is engaging and I am excited for our class discussions this semester, especially because I learned so much from classmates last semester.

I believe that studying the media representation of gender and sexuality is important because media has so much power in society.  The media has the power to create change just like it can work to further propagate oppressive (or negative) ideas. I think taking the times to ask why, rather than to just accept, is an important part of the liberal arts education but more importantly it represents something that doesn't happen as often as it maybe should. In the words of Robert Frost: "I took the [road] less travelled by and that has made all the difference."

No comments:

Post a Comment