Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Test: Why this Course


 I am taking this class because I am interested in learning more about gender and sexuality and how it plays out in our everyday lives. I’ve taken other classes that deal with similar issues like Issues in Feminism and an FYS so I wanted to look at it more in depth.  I think that viewing gender and sexuality as it is portrayed in media is going to be extremely interesting and relevant.

Media has a tremendous impact on most people’s live so understanding how gender and sexuality is portrayed can be impactful. It is important to realize that much of what we see portrayed in the media is a skewed or exaggerated representation that is not always accurate. Understanding how negative representations can be inaccurate and damaging can help in social contexts and help foster change.  

No comments:

Post a Comment