Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Why This Class?

      I chose to take this class for several reasons. First off, I'm a Women's Studies minor and this class filled one of my electives. Second, it's always tough to find classes that will fit in my time-limited schedule while in season, and this one fit so I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone. Third, the class sounded interesting and I heard nothing but great things about Dr. Copple Smith from my previous Women's Studies professor as well as students, so taking this class seemed like the obvious choice. I took issues in feminism last year and we had multiple discussions about the media's role in the lives of women. The topic always grabbed me so I figured a whole semester on the topic would be awesome.
      Women in the media is a very important topic because we are surrounded by the media. Even if we are not always aware of it, the media has a huge impact on the way that we think about things and represent them. However, a very small percent of what we take in is being done in our conscious minds which is kind of scary when you stop and think about it. Opinions may be forming that you aren't consciously aware of. That is why it is so important to have not just women, but everything represented accurately in the media. If we can become more media literate, then perhaps it will lead to more positive images in the media.

No comments:

Post a Comment