Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Why Not?

I decided to take this course for a few reasons. One of them being that I love everything about media, it's all around us all of the time. So why not take some time learn how to understand better? Secondly being a Communication major and having a Queer Studies concentration this class seemed to be a perfect fit for me and my varied interest. Lastly I've heard nothing but great things about Erin so of course I jumped at the chance of taking a class with an awesome professor.

I think that studying how the media has an influence on gender and sexuality is important because we as a society need to recognize that just because an advertisement in a magazine or a scene on a reality TV show portrays certain skewed views of our culture doesn't necessarily make them true. By becoming media literate we can change how media influences things such as gender and sexuality and hopefully bring forth a new era of understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment