Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Why this class?


I am taking this class because I am interested in social marketing. This type of marketing focuses to create products or campaigns to promote  “social good” or call for social change. I am particularly interested in public health that is geared toward women through the use of media.  I am a psychology major and through classes I have taken, I understand the power of stereotypes. Media is a tool used to demonstrate social and gender rules that young children are able to pick up upon.  I have also taken the issues in feminism class that led me to think about how the media is used to either reinforce or reject a gender stereotype. 

I took Dr. Copple-Smiths Media Structures class last year and I really enjoyed the class. It was interesting to see the overlap that psychology has when constructing a media product that is to be consumed by an audience.  I also feel that Media structures helped me figure out what I was interested in and it let me explore a potential career.  I knew I wanted to do something with advertising, but I had no idea what I wanted to do with it. I also had no idea how the media tied into or worked with psychology. I chose to take this class because it appeals heavily interested in understanding how media creates these gender and social rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment